Keep a small balance ($5) in your Throwdown account to remove these ads Deposit
Throwdown Showdowns — 4-player, 1-week events  |  Throwdown Tournaments — 16-player, 2-week events

New Leaderboard and How We Rank Our Players

S h a r e :

Two weeks ago we announced changes to our Leaderboard, including splitting the season with a First Half Leaderboard covering NFL Weeks 1-9, and a reset for a Second Half Leaderboard starting NFL Week 10.

Week 10 came and went with no players ranked while we tweaked our Leaderboard ranking methodology slightly, and more importantly added some more useful stats and details to the Leaderboard. Lets tackle the visual stuff first.

We used to have average points for and points against for your Throwdown games, plus number of different opponents played, shown on the Leaderboard. These are all gone. I felt PF and PA were fairly useless, especially with the wide range of starting lineup options our members are using for their challenges.

Now we have the actual Throwdown Leaderboard Ranking points earned per our ranking methodology right on the Leaderboard. Makes too much sense, right? Now you can see not just your ranking, but how close you are to the next player on the list, and how much cushion you have on the player behind you.

leaderboard

New Leaderboard format shows actual Throwdown Leaderboard Ranking points earned, plus icons and details for special event achievements.

I bet you are wondering how those points are calculated? We’ve always kept that somewhat under wraps in the past, but I’ve decided to spill the beans and give you some insight to tailor your game and strategy to climb the Leaderboard. We’ll get to our methodology in the minute.

The next thing you’ll notice next to the points number are some icons for certain players. These represent achievements earned playing Fantasy Throwdown this season. If you mouse over each icon, you’ll see the detailed points and achievement earned by that individual represented by the icon. Currently there are three different icons.

Sword icon represents winning a #ThrowdownShowdown, typically worth 2.5 points.

Medal is for winning or placing in a tournament. These vary in points depending on the tournament.

Trophy is earned for winning or placing in a league. These also vary in points.

Although the Leaderboard was reset for challenges starting Week 10, the achievements carried over from the first half of this season, so those people who earned these special achievements still get credit for them in the second half. They earned them, and I really wanted to show off this new feature. The points earned for achievements are included in the point total to the left of the icons.

And that brings us back to the current Leaderboard ranking methodology. It is mostly the same as the method used for the first half, and all of last season. I made one small tweak to points earned for wins, so as to prevent people from ranking high based on sheer volume of play. This change probably hurt my own ranking the most! Here we go:

• 0.25 points per game played to a maximum of 2.5 points per week. This is based on average games played, so if you played zero in Week 10 but ten in Week 11, then you earned the full 5 points available over the two weeks. There is some catch-up ability in that respect.
  • 2 points per win for the first 5 games played per week (on average, as above with the catch-up), plus 1 point per win for games played beyond 5 per week.
  • -1 point per loss, no limit
  • achievement points as mentioned above
  • additional points earned for wins against players who ranked above the 90th, 75th and 50th percentile from the prior week Leaderboard, although this does not start until after four weeks are played (and may change upon further review)

Oh, and to get on the Leaderboard you need to have a minimum 10 games played and positive ranking points, or for players who earned any achievement points, the games played minimum is waived (but they don’t earn any points from games played).

There you go, that is how we rank players at Fantasy Throwdown. We hope you enjoy the new Leaderboard. Do your best to climb that board, as we’ll have a number of spots available in our invite only Best of Throwdown Event planned for the final few weeks of the season for players who are holding high ranking spots on the Leaderboard prior to that competition. Good luck!

Tags: , , , , , ,

13 Responses to “New Leaderboard and How We Rank Our Players”

1. skeetnasty says:

How do you know if you won your challenge ???????????????????

2. Mike says:

Hi skeetnasty. There are two ways. First, you should have received an email last night with the results from each of your challenges, showing the lineup, points and whether you won or lost.

That information is also available on the website. When logged in, go to Game Manager > Game History, and that shows all of your completed challenges. Click into the details to see players, stats, points, etc.

Here is a direct link for Week 17 results (must be logged in):

3. Destroyers 13 says:

All I have to say is that this is an awesome site! I wanted to also thank all those who put in what must be a lot of time on this. I didn’t discover the site until the last week of the season and will definitely play next year. If I can help any way, please just let me know. Thanks again.

• Mike says:

Thanks Destroyers! Glad you found us, and happy we made a very good first impression. We’ve still got 2 or 3 weeks to go with Conference Championships and Super Bowl. These weeks are unique in that we use fewer than our normal 3 NFL games to draft from, but still fun I hope. Appreciate the offer to help. I’m already planning ideas for next year. If I think of something I will let you know.

4. thunder says:

I’m also new here and agree with Destroyers 13…awesome site! I’ll be back next season also and hope to get more involved. Thanks for the time and effort you put into this!

5. Mike says:

Thanks thunder! Much appreciated! Definitely hoping to make Throwdown bigger and better next season. A lot of that will come from you guys spreading the word, and this positive feedback goes a long way. Gracias!

6. Destroyers 13 says:

Since I started playing a few weeks ago, I got 3 others to join and play. I also invited all 12 players from my regular FF league too. This is soooo much fun and I absolutely love the strategy of playing in fewer and fewer games, up to the Super Bowl too bad we cant play a Challenge for the Pro Bowl too!

7. Destroyers 13 says:

Just curious, since we can only see the 100 ranked teams, but how many teams total played this year?

8. Mike says:

Hey Destroyers. Thanks so much for recruiting people to play. Appreciate it. We actually did do the Pro Bowl last year to try it out. A handful of people played, but it wasn’t overly interesting. . . much like the Pro Bowl itself.

It isn’t that we only rank the top 100. Don’t think – should double check that – but people need to hit a game minimum and a points minimum to be on the Leaderboard.

We’ve enjoyed good growth this season throughout the season. Next year I’d like to implement more leagues and tournaments that people can start themselves, and I think that will help increase our members as people choose to play in these shorter events as an alternate to their regular season long fantasy leagues.

9. Diamond divas says:

I think this a great site. I’ve told a lot of my friends to get on board with this. Let me know if you need any help. Wink wink.

10. Diamond divas says:

True! Send me a throw down.