I teased out about Best of Throwdown in an update post about a variety of topics, but this is a big event! It really does deserve its own post. So here goes…
Best of Throwdown! This is a new tournament starting next week, NFL Week 15, and runs three weeks – for those who make it that far – to crown our inaugural Best of Throwdown Champion after the conclusion of Week 17.
Although we do continue to play Fantasy Throwdown through the NFL Playoffs, and will surely have another NFL Playoffs special event, Best of Throwdown is meant to recognize our top players from the season, and pit them against each other in a grand finale of a tournament.
You have to earn your spot into Best of Throwdown. There are already 11 of 16 spots filled by members who earned it in a variety of ways as shown below.
- Butkiss – #1 Leaderboard Rank
- Fantasytaz – Big Time Tourney Champ
- j0eo1s – PFF Experts Tourney A-Champ
- laoch – Big Time Tourney Champ; #1 Leaderboard Rank
- Mike – Big Time Tourney 3rd Place; Fantasy Sharks Experts Tourney Champ; Turkey Day Challenge 2nd Place; #1 Leaderboard Rank
- Peppy_Pants – ABT Experts Tourney A-Champ
- PFF_RossMiles – Throwdown-Showdown multiple winner
- rhazes_darkk – DLF Experts Tourney A-Champ
- tttimmyg – Throwdown-Showdown multiple winner
- tonyburtt – FBG Experts Tourney A-Champ; #1 Leaderboard Rank
- Wilforkisland – Turkey Day Challenge Champ
- – TBD
- – TBD
- – TBD
- – TBD
- – TBD
That leaves 5 spots to fill before next week. No problem! First, I sent out invites to 16 of our more active and accomplished players who didn’t already secure a spot. Those 16, if they all respond, are going to compete in groups of four, Throwdown-Showdown style, with the winner of each group getting one of the open spots.
We already have two groups kicked off Wednesday night. Best of Throwdown Qualifier #1 is Bigchief37 vs. robmcangus vs. Terminalkennedy vs. TheKommish. Best of Throwdown Qualifier #2 is Airbus79 vs. AJgravity vs. louislipps vs. ljs44.
I am still waiting to hear back from the other eight invitees to compete in a qualifier. Check your email.
As for the last spot, or maybe two, or maybe three if I don’t hear back from our qualifier invitees, I have a plan to let everyone have a chance to get into the Best of Throwdown tournament. You simply need to beat me in a single game of Fantasy Throwdown. That shouldn’t be too hard. Here are the rules and guidelines to determine our winner(s):
- If you are not already in Best of Throwdown or a Best of Throwdown Qualifier, then issue a challenge to special account FantasyThrowdwn for a Week 14 game of Fantasy Throwdown. Lineup: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 O, 1 K, 1 DEF (maximum allowed at each position, fewer is okay).
- The challenge must be issued before the conclusion of Thursday Night Football’s Houston Texans at Jacksonville Jaguars game on December 5th.
- Only one challenge allowed per person.
- The player who wins their challenge by the largest point differential compared to all other challenges received during this Best of Throwdown qualifying event, wins a spot in Best of Throwdown.
- If we have additional spots available in Best of Throwdown, then the second largest point differential wins the next spot, and third largest the third spot.
All clear? So your odds to get in Best of Throwdown depend on how many challenges I receive in a less than 24 hour period, since I’m writing this after midnight on Wednesday. Any registered member not already in Best of Throwdown or one of our invite-only qualifiers can issue me a challenge. Make sure to issue it to the account FantasyThrowdwn. (Note the missing “o” in Throwdown. This also coincides with my Twitter account, by the way.)
I’ll be drafting all day and into the night to get as many drafts done as possible on Thursday. What am I going to be doing otherwise? Watching the Texans-Jags? Okay, well, it will be on in the background…